Have you ever heard of periodontal disease? You may know it by the name gum disease. Although gum disease is common, it can lead to tooth loss if not treated properly. For a list of guidelines for gum disease, consider the following:
– Oftentimes, gum disease results from dry mouth caused by certain medications.
– Gum disease can cause bad breath, also known as halitosis.
– Symptoms can include red, swollen and tender gums. You may also notice that your gums frequently bleed, especially when you brush, floss or even eat.
– Gum disease can pull your gums away from your teeth, exposing the roots and making your teeth look longer than normal.
– If left untreated, gum disease can slowly cause your teeth to shift out of place, and make them loose.
– Gum disease can be caused by smoking or chewing tobacco, or using drugs.
If you are concerned about gum disease or it is time for your exam and cleaning, contact us at Anderson Lane Dental. You can make an appointment with Dr. Anderson Lane and the team at our dentist office in Austin, Texas. We can be reached at 512.459.4347. Make time to improve your smile.